Saturday, January 19, 2013

Netflix Film Review: Butter

Due to a communication mix-up, I found myself without plans on a Saturday night. There are plenty of things to do in SLC--I could've checked out a show at the Urban Lounge, there was a poetry reading I could have attended, a play or two I wouldn't've minded checking out--and the party girl/extrovert inside STILL feels both guilt and remorse for skipping all of it.

However, the introvert inside insisted that I had just spent a whirlwind weekend in the bustling metropolis that is Provo, Utah and I needed to wind it on down.

So I did.

And that's when I found Butter.

The IMDb description: In small-town Iowa, an adopted girl discovers her talent for butter carving and finds herself pitted against an ambitious local woman in their town's annual contest.

I'm a sucker for quirky coming-of-age stories and this film fits the bill quite nicely. It's only 90 minutes, which is just enough time to build a delightfully layered story without belaboring the drama.

I was especially thrilled by a star-studded cast: Hugh Jackman (my second-favorite character), Jennifer Garner, Ty Burrell, Phyllis Smith, Kristin Schaal...and the surprisingly hilarious Olivia Wilde.

Observe:

Okay, it might be funnier in context but believe me, she knocks it out of the park.

A little more substance than Pitch Perfect but not quite a heavy hitter like Les Mis, it's a great home-alone-but-not-depressed-about-it indulgence.


Have you seen it?
Do you have a not-so-guilty-pleasure flick you'd like to recommend?
Tell me about it!



1 comment:

  1. Dave Grohl's interview in the WTF podcast:

    "I don't believe in guilty pleasures. If you ******* like something... like it! That's a problem with our generation- that residual punk rock guilt. Like, 'you're not supposed to like that. That's not ******* cool. You're not supposed to do that.' "

    ReplyDelete